Why You Need a Tie Clip or Tie Bar
There are only a few reasons why you should complement your tie with a tie clip, but they’re good ones:
- A tie pin helps keep your tie straight.
- Tie bars keep your tie from falling in your soup.
- Tie clips are a must-have item for windy days.
- Tie pins may be small, but the right one can pack a big punch visually.
What’s the difference between a Tie Clip & a Tie Bar?
The difference between a tie clip and a tie bar is in the way it clips to your tie and shirt. A tie clip usually has ‘teeth’ to keep it in place, while a tie bar slides over your tie. Tie bars are typically preferred for delicate ties.
Where should you position your tie clip?
Men may be tempted to wear their tie clips very low to keep the tie out of their food. If that’s the case, opt for a bib. Correct fashion style dictates that the tie bar should be worn in the middle of the breast pocket or between the 3rd and 4th buttons of the shirt.
What is the best tie clip width?
Tie clips are small and should never be wider than the actual tie that it is holding in place. A good rule of thumb is that they do not surpass three-quarters of the tie's width – your tie clip or tie bar should never be longer than your necktie’s width.
Tie Clips in Silver or Gold
From a style perspective, it’s important to match the metal of your tie clip to the other metals you have on. Are you wearing cufflinks made of silver-tone steel? Choose a silver-coloured tie bar if you are. The same is true for gold-tone accessories and other jewellery for men.
Tie Clip Tips
- There are 2 different ways of keeping your tie in place – a crocodile clip (tie clip) or a slide-on bar (often called a tie bar). Crocodile clips are made to stay in place but may damage the fabric of the necktie with their teeth. Use a tie bar for expensive ties.
- It’s preferable to wear matching accessories. If your wrist watch has a silver-coloured casing, then both your tie bar and cufflinks should also be predominantly silver.
Engravable Tie Clips & Tie Bars
Standing alone, our tie clips and jewellery for men make wonderful gifts... but add in personalised engraving and you've got something with even more meaning. Make your next tie clip special with custom engraving. Your friend or family member will appreciate the attention to detail and thought you put into their personalised gift.
And don’t forget that you deserve to be treated well too! Have your initials, birthday or the date when you first discovered Trendhim engraved on your next tie clip. Shop our selection and discover which of our tie bars and clips offer personalised engraving and add one to your suit and tie today.